Steel City Re is a Pittsburgh, PA-headquartered leader in corporate reputation measurement, risk management, and risk transfer. Steel City Re is the Overseas Specialty Broker/Advisor to syndicates comprising various underwriters at Lloyd’s and various insurance companies led by Tokio Marine Kiln. In addition to enabling diverse reputation governance, control, and risk transfer solutions for companies, their directors and officers, Steel City Re’s Reputation Value Metrics empower third-party investment strategies and equity indices.
Follow Steel City Re’s CEO Nir Kossovsky and the indexes, research and other data he and the firm produces, on our social media platforms LinkedIn and Twitter.
Quips and Quotes
- Building defenses (Food & Drink, 2018).
- Recessions always put banks in the path of the storm – which ones will be positioned to withstand reputational tornadoes (Banking Exchange, 2018).
- What’s the risk in having a rogue CEO (Quote) (Corporate Risk and Insurance, 2018).
- What loss of trust costs companies in dollars and cents (Quote) (Wall Street Journal, 2018).
- How risk culture is transforming post #metoo (Quote) (Corporate Risk and Insurance, 2018).
- Reputation Assurance: Why, how and what (American Law Institute Adviser, 2018).
- Why reputation is a vital enterprise risk, not a marketing issue (QSR, 2018).
- Reputational Risk with Nir Kossovsky – 17:31 Audio
(Risk and Insurance Management Society RIMScast, 2018).
- How corporate reputation risk is exacerbating D&O liability
- How disgruntled employees tarnish your social media branding and reputation (Risk & Insurance, 2018).
- What financial leaders don’t know about reputational risk (Global Banking & Finance Review, 2018).
- Why firms should care about a bad reputation (Quote) (Insurance Business, 2018).
- Listed: Companies with best reputations (Quote)(Agenda/Financial Times (Pay Wall), 2018).
- Reputation resilience (Quote) (Insurance Business, 2018).
- Pharma’s reputational tornado zone (Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, 2018).
- Top 4 issues driving reputation risk solutions
(Risk & Insurance, 2018).
- This is why USAA singled out Wells Fargo for patent infringement (American Banker, 2018).
- The risk of a reputation (Quote)(Insurance Business, 2018).
- Could a bank-on-bank patent war be looming? (Quote)(Pymnts/Legal, 2018).
- Starbucks, ABC responses to racist incidents show business value of decisive action (Quote)(Marketwatch, 2018).
- Managing Reputation Risk: What the hospitality industry can learn from the banking industry (Hotel Executive, 2018).
- The risk of a reputation (Quote)(Insurance Business Canada, 2018).
- Commentary: Reduced cost of capital is the ROI of reputation risk governance and management (Bond Buyer, 2018).
- Cultural changes can upend corporate reputations (Treasury & Risk (Registration Wall/Free), 2018).
- Reputational crisis forces Cambridge Analytica’s closure (Quote)(National Law Review, 2018).
- Steel City Re offers improved model for analyzing and underwriting reputational risk (Steel City Re Press Release, 2018).
- $1B fallout: Where does Wells go from here? (Quote)(American Banker (Pay Wall), 2018).
- Snap shares sink in social media–driven storm (Quote)(Agenda/Financial Times (Pay Wall), 2018).
- Scandals coupled with social media prove to be existential threats (Risk & Insurance, 2018).
- Taking cover. (Quote) (Best’s Review (Paywall), 2018).
- The Last Word: Putting Fears to Rest. (Quote) (Best’s Review (Download: Used with permission), 2018).
- How CEOs respond to reputational attacks is critical. (Chief Executive, 2018).
- KFC learns from epic supply chain shortage (Quote)(Agenda/Financial Times (Pay Wall), 2018).
- Why are insurers moving back from the NRA now? (Quote) (Insurance Business, 2018).
- Wells Fargo smackdown shocks governance experts (Quote)(Agenda/Financial Times (Pay Wall), 2018).
- Companies need to differentiate themselves to protect against and recover from reputational attacks. (CEO World, 2018).
- Reputation threats are real – but measurable and manageable. (Quote) (Glob Assoc Risk Prof (Pay Wall), 2018).
- Gear up for social media battles. (Quote) (Risk & Insurance, 2018).
- Las Vegas gaming company boards below average in women members (Quote) (Las Vegas Review-Journal, 2018).
- Protecting the enterprise when the CEO stumbles (Risk & Insurance, 2018).
- Accentuate the Positive: Tackling pharma’s reputation problem. (Quote) (PharmExec, 2018).
- Listed: Worst reputational crises of 2017 (Quote)(Agenda/Financial Times (Pay Wall), 2018).
- Reputation Expert: Wynn must distance itself from CEO to protect gaming licenses, brand. (Quote) (Benzinga, 2018).
- Trust in government, media, other institutions tumbling (Quote) (Pittsburgh Post Gazette, 2018).
- CEO delves into why reputational crises are surging (Quote) (Insurance Business, 2018).
- Reinsurers warned over financial impact of corporate reputational loss (Quote) (Reinsurance News, 2018).
- Companies facing “massive” financial impact this year due to reputational crises, warns insurer (Quote) (Insurance Business, 2018).
Highlights from 2017
Highlights from 2016
Highlights from 2015
Highlights from 2014
Highlights from 2013
Highlight from 2012
Highlight from 2011
Chairman of the Board and CEO
Dr. Nir Kossovsky, co-founder of Steel City Re, is an authority on business process risk and reputational value and holds more than a dozen patents, including Reputational Value Metrics. He is also a founder, director, and executive with Bellrock Intelligence, a health information technology company. Previously, he served on the boards of Patent & License Exchange and Littlearth, Inc.; was a consultant to the FDA’s medical device advisory panels; and is featured in case studies from Harvard and Darden Schools of Business. He is currently executive secretary of the Intangible Asset Finance Society.
Director and Senior Vice President
Mr. Gerken leads Steel City Re’s underwriting, broker relations and development services where he works with brokers, captive managers, as well as directly with senior risk and finance executives. Mr. Gerken has been in the commercial insurance industry as both an insurer and broker for 35 years. Over the past 15 years, Mr. Gerken has specialized in intellectual property, intangible asset, and reputation value solutions. Previously, Mr. Gerken was IP Practice Leader at Marsh. Mr. Gerken has an MBA in Management from Bernard Baruch College (CUNY), and holds the CPCU designation.
Mr. McGinty is formerly Senior Managing Director of the NASDAQ Insurance Agency. He is currently with the ELS group, an insurance brokerage specializing in the needs of high net worth individuals. Previously, he served as a founding partner and President & COO of American Wholesale (currently operating as AMWINS), a national property & casualty and Employee Benefits Insurance firm. Bill also served in various senior management positions for the Sedgwick Group, including New York Regional COO and Director of US Office Operations.
Mr. Liebman is the Chief Compliance Officer and Director of University Compliance Services at The University of Texas at Austin, which is one of the largest public research universities in the world. Previously he held legal and compliance leadership roles at Exxon, Koch Industries and Dell. Mr. Liebman has been advocating for more than 25 years that a reputation for acting legally and ethically is a significant source of enterprise value. He is a recognized thought leader in the governance, risk and compliance (GRC) community, was elected an OCEG Fellow by his peers, and was named to the list of GRC Pioneers and Trailblazers by The National Law Journal.